Pages

Wednesday 18 December 2013

The 12 outfits of Christmas - Day 3: scruffy jeans but a slightly less scruffy top!

 

With two out of the three wise men still at school, Christmas isn't quite here yet.  So, whilst one might imagine that these particular posts should show something a little wow, today it felt like a jeans day. However I fancied a bit of print and colour in my top, as I knew that the cooker would really appreciate it as I slaved away over it.  Also our eldest had four friends over after school and whilst she would never ask me to change into something other than my Onesie, I do think that it is right to bear these things in mind (as she sits here, now in a Onesie).

So, I wore the Warehouse top which I bought in the spring, together with Gap jeans and Zara boots. And you know it wasn't wow, but the heeled boots definitely made it feel a bit more elegant, I like the jeans because they're comfy and totally worn in and the top is nice to wear. So I guess I've squared that one off in my mind and given myself permission to be a scruff bum!

To anyone who was thinking about buying/asking for as a Christmas present, the Calf hair satchel that I featured yesterday, just a word of warning. DON'T! Whistles is going into sale and the Calf hair swing satchel will be reduced from £395 to £195. 

The sale looks like a proper one to me - not a rubbishy old 10% off here and there. There are about 562 items in it to include lots of parkas and coats. There are a couple of things that I have bought/come across this season that people have liked so, just to let you know that the navy blue Ella panel trousers (£40) in sizes 6 to 14 are available, as is the Lita Leather biker (£225 instead of £325) together with the Annabel textured jacket (£95 instead of £155).  Oh golly, I fear that I may have put a spanner in the works for folks!

Now, for today's gift idea. It's this ice crush nailvarnish from Topshop and it costs £6. It is a clear glitter varnish and it's brilliant on a number of levels. You know me, I like a good cheat when it comes to looking polished (sorry for the pun) without actually making too much effort. So here's why I like it...

For a start, it transforms any plain coloured nail varnish into a sparkly one, just by whacking a coat of it over the top. It also has incredible staying power, so that your nail varnish stays on longer than the usual 5 minutes. Thirdly, it makes a less than perfect finish look great. So if you've accidentally scratched or chipped your manicure seconds after finishing it, this will totally rescue it. It's a bit like a printed dress disguising those less than perfect areas, whereas a plain coloured dress can require scaffolding for underwear to make it look perfect.