Pages

Saturday 16 December 2017

Sparkles and Crepe Joggers for Afternoon Tea....



Suraya sequins party top Great Plains (reduced to £42 from £85) and Crepe woven joggers from Great Plains (reduced from £65 to £32)

I was so excited to be going out for afternoon tea today at The Edgbaston Boutique Hotel with some girlfriends. How very civilised! (Well until I arrived.) And after a week of snow boots and jeans, it was a joy to have the opportunity to get dressed up. The pavements are still a little icy in places and I resolutely refused to walk, instead opting for a cab. The height of laziness really but there are just some days when compromising your outfit is absolutely not an option. 


The Edgbaston Hotel is a beautiful Georgian building which is decorated in an art deco style inside. This gorgeous Christmas tree greets you when you walk through the door. Sadly some things are just too large to slip into your pocket and wander off with *


As to the sequinned top and crepe joggers that I'm wearing, they were kindly gifted to me by Great Plains who asked if I would like to choose something to wear from their range of occasionwear.
They were interested to see what I might choose, how I might style it and how else I might wear it.

No one will be remotely surprised to find out that I chose a sparkly top - the Suraya sequins party top Great Plains (reduced to £42 from £85). I'm currently very familiar with quite a lot of sequin tops and what I think will appeal about this one in particular is that it's not too fitted. It has quite a relaxed shape to it so - and I can vouch for this having eaten an entire cream tea and then some - it doesn't get any tighter. And its relaxed shape means that it's a great one to wear at any time of year with jeans, with pleather leggings, under dungarees or with a pleated skirt. I know you've heard it before but sequins are definitely not just for Christmas.

The other thing that I think will appeal about the top are the length of these sleeves. They finish at a really good point on the arm, enabling you to pile up a whole lot of arm candy. And now that this top is in the sale, the price is really good too.


Now that's what you call a bar! 


In addition to the sparkly top, I also chose these Crepe woven joggers from Great Plains (reduced from £65 to £32) for that high/low outfit look. I have to say that the part elasticated waist was an added bonus and the side stripe gives them more of a modern feel. Just ignore anyone who says "Why are you going out for afternoon tea in your jogging bottoms?" BAD MOVE.

And the best thing about them? They are so versatile and can be dressed right down. On the Great Plains site they are styled with a Breton top and trainers, which is a look I will definitely be wearing. The more wear that I can get out of things the better. I also like the idea of these trousers with a pussy bow blouse and a blazer for a more dressed up look - either with heels or flats.


A sneaky little amuse bouche with compliments from the chef. He's my kind of guy. 


Again, can I please pretend that this is our house? It's soooo beautiful. 


The prettiest macarons I've ever seen! 


Afternoon tea Edgbaston Hotel style - you know that relaxed shape top I mentioned and the elasticated waist on the trousers? Oh yes baby. Mucho required. And once I'd kicked off my heels, they were both great for lounging around in when I returned home. That fire and sofa were certainly calling. 


Luckily I have plenty of stamina for many things in life. Including eating a cream tea. I never quite understand when people don't have a sweet tooth - it's as if they're talking a foreign language. Sarnies are nice and all that but really at an event like this, they're just a means to an end.


I'm totally inspired now as to how to decorate the outside of our house. Mr SG loves a little job of the DIY variety. Hmmmmm.

Disclosure: I think that we've all gathered that this outfit was gifted to me by Great Plains and it consists of the Suraya sequins party top Great Plains (reduced to £42 from £85) and Crepe woven joggers from Great Plains (reduced from £65 to £32).

* I would never advocate the theft of anything. Although if I did happen to be invited to the Palace I "may" wander off with an ashtray as per Denise Van Outen.