Pages

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Mustard, ochre, yellow or custard - my favourite picks from the High Street


It's the pink front door but not as we know it! 

Can you believe that I just spent an hour drafting this post and lost the entire thing? Argggh. So, luckily for you, this is the abridged version. 

You know how I mentioned that red was "THE COLOUR" of the season only a day or so ago? Well yellow, ochre, mustard....whatever you want to call it, is having a moment too. It's great with navy, black or grey, giving that lift to an otherwise dark winter outfit. 


I love this layered midi dress from Topshop  (£115) and I keep going to look at it every time I'm in there. True, it would require a not inconsiderable amount of tape to keep everything in place but it's lovely - and a little different too. 


There "may" be one of these M&S gold pleated skirts (£35) waiting for me to collect from my local store but I doubt that it will look anywhere near as good on me as it does on my friend Maryam, above. Never mind, there's always the navy option.  I prefer the idea of a cream jumper as Maryam's wearing, or a black turtle neck with the gold skirt, rather than the mustard top as above but you know, horses for courses and all that.


The silk satin batwing top Jigsaw (£85) is a beaut of a top. Jigsaw release this style every season and it's just such a brilliant top that it deserves a post of its own. The neck is low enough for those with a curvy bust, it's flattering over the tummy, it doesn't add bulk and it's a modern shape.


This Zara wool cardigan (£39.99) probably falls into the category of a more "traditional" yellow cardigan, as in the yellow of an egg yolk, or the sun, or a daffodil. Chunky cardis are such a staple in a winter wardrobe that a bright yellow one is really refreshing. 


For those who don't like the idea of yellow in their torso, then accessories are a fantastic option instead and this Zara tote bag (£39.99) ticks the ladylike box and the circular handle box in one. 


And whilst these M&S kitten sling back court shoes (£29.50) don't actually comply with the yellow/ochre/mustard brief, they are totally gorgeous and in fairness, someone does describe them as mustard in a review. But issues of yellow aside, velvet is soft so great for your bunions, the kitten heel means that they don't hurt the balls of your feet too much and the glitter heels are, well, glittery. And therefore they deserve to be included.

So whether it's mustard, ochre, yellow, or custard, give it a whirl because it's a great way to give your winter wardrobe a lift. I've not really been there before on the mustard front but I can feel a mustard purchase coming on - aside from the pleated skirt that its. That's gold so it doesn't count.