Pages

Thursday 17 August 2017

The Magic Roundabout - a metaphor for solving a problem

When my friend came up with a brilliant way of thinking through a problem, I asked her if she would put her thoughts in writing so that I could share them with you all. It's a fantastic way of approaching whatever life throws at us. The ability to visualise what she's talking about really helps to. So, over to Libby....


"I have a particular friend who I absolutely love to bits.   We share life together, raise children together and pound for miles along streets, canal towpaths and even motorway verges training for some bonkers race or running event which will knacker our knees and mean our Achilles will never be the same again. 

I love her for lots of reasons.   One of the best things about her is where she "comes off the roundabout!"  Back up I hear you cry; loving your friends and sharing life with them, all good, but what’s all this talk of roundabouts? Let me explain. 

I get stuck with a problem.  These problems can be small or large; dealing with teenagers, navigating a mid life crisis (that’s mine and not my husband’s – why should we miss out?), dealing with loss and bereavement or processing a health scare.  I will mention this to my friend, she will muse on the problem and then often come out with a totally different view point and perspective on my situation.  It’s like we’ve come to the same roundabout, I have taken the first turning on the left but she has stayed on the roundabout and come off at the third exit.  Same problem, same roundabout, different exit, different perspectives, new solution!  It is so very liberating! 

Now when I have a problem I like to go back to my roundabout and think myself off at a different exit and a different solution.  The analogies are many and varied; staying on the roundabout until you find an exit you can handle, going down an exit you’d rather not go down but, because of circumstances, you have to go there and learn to enjoy the view anyway, they are endless.  The message remains the same; if the solution you find for a problem doesn’t sit right, it’s rarely irreversible.  Go back to the magic roundabout and find a new exit."