Pages

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Mum on the Run - Nothing old, lots of things new, something yellow and something blue, thanks to Whistles, Reiss, Topshop and Warehouse

Although there's nothing old in this shot, I wouldn't want anyone to think that there's nothing old in my wardrobe. Believe me, there are plenty of old things in my wardrobe but that's good. I grow very attached to clothes and the stories behind them. Lots of women are the same, as I find out when I do their Wardrobes. I love hearing when they bought their clothes, how they made them feel, how they wore them, when they wore them, where they wore them and so on. 
 
These are a few pieces that I bought last week and below you can see how I wore two of them. From left to right there's a sparkly jumper from Whistles, a dress from Reiss (more about that another day) a jumper from Topshop and a jumper/top from Warehouse.
 
 
First off, the yellow jumper from Topshop. Plain and simple - great for someone like me who feels the cold and who isn't quite ready or willing to bare all on a warm day. It's not going to set the world on fire but a few up to date basics are the way to a winning wardrobe. The colour, relaxed fit and detail at the neck all worked for me.
 

All of these photographs were taken on Sunday as we went about our fun day away. Here's the jumper in all its glory with navy Cos trousers and Dune brogues. As you can see from the sleeves, there's enough length there for my lanky arms which is good as sleeves quite often come up short on me.

 

As it got warmer I added a Lola Rose scarf - daft I know but being of the fair skin persuasion I burn easily and that's never a good look, especially with a yellow jumper. In fact my friend and I had a debate about the colour of this jumper. I described it as custard yellow but she disagreed. However it transpired that she was talking about Bird's Custard and I was thinking more along the lines of Waitrose custard - which isn't really custard at all but a poncy concoction passing itself of as custard - so then we both got where the other was coming from and all was fine. 

I'll also wear it with a big striped navy and white scarf, with a denim or white shirt layered underneath and perhaps with a statement necklace.


As we headed towards the beach I knew that I would find it cold(er) so addded a striped Zara blazer, trainers  (as the brogues are OK but not that comfortable for a long walk or being on the beach) and a huge Zara scarf in the same colour as the jumper which could have doubled up as a blanket, scarf, handkerchief, sling, tourniquet etc for anyone who required it. Oddly it left the beach in the same state that it arrived, which was pretty suprising.


Here's the Warehouse top, which I can easily layer a vest and long sleeved top underneath if required. I have to say that I am a fan of tops with a bum scoop at the back. They just offer that safety net that is sometimes required!


And here it is with skinny jeans and the shiny Topshop red shoes, which I can confirm are really comfortable. Much more so than my brogues infact, despite their heel and wooden sole.


Tomorrow I start shopping for a Style Party on Friday night. Can't wait to see what the High Street has in store this week.