Pages

Tuesday, 24 April 2012

On the Run-One dress, four different belts and a mint green silk shirt

I hope that you like the new blog header for Style Guile.  For those who have been following me for a while, or who know me well, you will probably recognise a lot of the images on the header.  It was drawn for me by Kristina, a Swedish girl who grew up in America but who has now moved back to Sweden.  You can take a look at her website here but I warn you, it may be dangerous. Very dangerous! Her illustrations and scarves are beautiful.

I have had requests for a closer look at some of  the pieces that were on my rail last week in preparation for the Style Event I was running. I think that one of the requests related to this dress which I am wearing and which cost £175 from Whistles. Actually, I am lying - it cost £14.99 from H&M. 


This is the dress in its simplest form. Whilst the black tights and dark shoes aren't terribly spring like, I couldn't face revealing my legs to the world. Ordinarily I would dig out my knee length M&S vest (sounds sexy huh?!) to layer under a dress like this but I think it's currently residing at the back of a cupboard somewhere so, in the spirit of keeping the photographer happy, I let the shots be taken even though there is a very clear line where my shorter vest ends but hey, it doesn't matter, we're not talking Vogue photography here.

Now I know that this dress won't suit all bodyshapes but in actual fact with it having a sleeve, a decent length and some room in the skirt, it is actually not as limiting as it first seems, particularly if you can get over the fact that it is 100% polyester, which to be honest I can because lots of things are these days - but I know that others can't.

I quite like this dress as a general "every day and it doesn't need too much accessorising" kind of dress. At the start of the summer it could be put with a blazer and dressed up a little for work.   As the summer progresses, and depending on how it wears, it can be relegated further down the fashion foodchain to a weekend dress, ending up as a beach cover up. Having said that, it could wear really well. After all, people have been known to pay a lot more for a polyester dress!

On the photograph below I have added in a wide blue Reiss belt. I quite like it for the colour but you can see how the addition of a contrasting colour breaks up the line of the dress.




For this look I have added a cream moc croc leather belt, also from Reiss.  The width of the belt is probably better for my proportions and it would look nice paired with some nude shoes for the summer.



For this last shot I have put it with a Hobbs skinny coral belt - narrower again it's just a nice alternative to any of the above if I fancy ringing the changes.


I am also bringing you a picture of this 100% silk shirt, which too is from H&M and costs £34.99. I bought the turquoise version earlier in the season and they have now brought it out in mint green.

Thanks to Louis Vuitton, pastels are huge this season and I think that this shirt, which isn't too girly, is a nice way of tapping into that trend. I am taking the mick on the first shot, in tucking it in on one side - as per the fashionistas....




....which is why it is all creased up on this shot!



I have some other outfits to show you from the event which I styled on my mannequin and which I will bring to you tomorrow.

We seem to have had a mini Hugh Heffner move into our house in the shape of a four year old wearing a dressing gown and sporting sunglasses. She has taken to putting on her dressing gown when she gets in from school and has also decided that she can't see unless she is wearing a pair of very glitzy (sun)glasses which used to be her sister's. In fact she goes as far as walking into things if she's not wearing them, just to prove the point. The whole ensemble, together with the straw from her smoothie which uses cigar style, completes the look and I have to say that I find it very funny.

I spoke to a photographer from the Daily Mail today.  He was arranging to come and take photos of me for an article which will be in the Femail section next Thursday and in which I will feature. When it came to the clothes I should be wearing his instructions were no black, no denim, possibly a block colour shift dress and nothing frumpy. NOTHING FRUMPY.  Cheeky whatsit. No comment.

22 comments:

  1. Hooray! You had me going then about the dress! Will go and look tomorrow....looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel - hope that you manage to find it and that you like it too. It is available on line but I think that on the site it is shown in one of the other prints with the coral one being an option. Good luck. Beth

      Delete
  2. MMmmm I wonder what the photographer will be wearing....denim and black most likely! Don't worry about being frumpy - couldn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fairness he was just wanting me to make his job easier - which I don't mind. It just made me laugh, especially as he had looked at the blog!! He obviously doesn't think much to it!!!

      Delete
  3. Frumpy? has he ever actually looked at what you wear?
    Loving the H & M dress - had me there for a mo with Whistles bit - & also the shirt is looking good too & not something i would normally think of buying ....but...may need trip to H & M at the weekend :-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanada, yes, he has looked at what I wear! Think that I might just give up now! Hope your H&M trip works well for you. Beth

      Delete
  4. Thankyou for a fantastic blog, you have changed a 40 something!! Mum of Four. My drab uniform of Khaki mac and trainers for the school run changed yesterday to a black/white Breton Top,Skinny Jeans and black Ballet Pumps all from H&M topped off with the cerise pink mac you linked from Room 31 and black scarf. I even got a big compliment from my ever critical 16 year old daughter ! Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania - that's really good to know - and compliments from a critical 16 yr old daughter - praise indeed! I will try to keep up the good work if you will too! Beth

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Caroline - thank you! Hope that you are feeling better now. Beth x

      Delete
  6. Can I just say how your blog had inspired me- my day to day is jeans and a top, usually with a fleece over that. I'm terrible putting things together but am gaining ideas and inpspiration from your lovely blog. Many thanks! Oh and love the dress and belt combinations- I am rubbish with belts so very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl - ah, that's so kind of you. Thank you very much. Hope that I manage to keep coming up with something fresh for you. Beth x

      Delete
  7. I also believed you for a minute, great dress! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! How are you? Thanks for dropping by. Good to know that people thought it possible that it was a Whistles dress, rather than laughing hysterically at me for being so ridiculous (which wouldn't be the first time)!
      Beth x

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi Sian - thank you! Hope that you will like some of today's outfits too. Beth x

      Delete
  9. Went out and tried the dress on, it is actually more pink than orange in the flesh isn't it! It looked like a sack on me so I ended up buying the top instead...plus a rather nice lacy jumper type affair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachel - what a shame about the dress but looking on the bright side, it's great that you got the top and your jumper. Nice work! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I notice that you tend to feature belts from high end shops such as Reiss and Hobbs. Do you recommend this approach and what widths and colours do you recommend. I'm usually scared to pay high-end prices for belts in case I don't wear them enough to justify the expense. Perhaps you could do a feature on belts as you seem to have a grand selection. Sheila J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheila and thank you for your comment. It's true - I really love Reiss belts as they tend to be a bit different and I think that they can really change an outfit. Having said that, I have always bought mine right at the tail end of the sales in July, which coincides with my birthday - and the receipt of birthday money! As a result they have been a fraction of the full price. I also have a great one from Tesco, a couple from Topshop which I wear a lot and one from Gap and H&M. I probably won't add many more belts to my Wardrobe as I feel that I have covered most of my bases (for now!) but if I do, they are likely to be more fashion items, which I will get from cheaper brands. As to colours, it largely depends on the colours in your Wardrobe but I think that a neutral one, a bright one to add some colour(pink/red/purple)a black one, possibly a tan leather for jeans and a sparkly one should cover it. Personally I like patent, textured or sparkly ones as they add something to an outfit. The width of a belt depends on how high your waist is (ie how much room you have between your bust and your waist) Not much room = narrower belt, plenty of room = wider belt. The size of your frame is also a consideration as a skinny belt can look lost on someone with a broader frame. Some people don't like the feel of belts, some love them. It's really quite a personal thing and my advice would be to have a play with a couple of inexpensive ones to see how you feel with a view to making a greater financial commitment if when the time is right (unless you see one that you fall in love with and know that you will wear it come what may!) That's it in a nutshell but I will think about doing a proper post as you suggest. Beth

      Delete
  12. PS Still loving your blog. I save them up for a treat. Problem is I'm now dissatisfied with my clothes.Sheila J

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS - Oh it's such a shame that you are dis-satisfied with your clothes. A plan is needed! Have you drawn up a list of items that you would like to buy? The trick then is to find out how to get them without paying the full price (or anything like it) or finding cheaper alternatives. Happy to help. Beth

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments,so do please drop by.