Pages

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

On the Run - Shots of pieces I found on my shopping trip today...


I want to say a big "thank you" to everyone who asked me how I was after yesterday's post - it was really kind of you all and I am pleased to report that I am back on form.

I started my day today by styling a lovely lady for a wedding she is attending. I had put all my eggs in one basket - largely because there weren't any other decent baskets into which to put any other eggs, but it all worked out well, which was a relief.

I then went on to shop for an event that I am doing tomorrow night in the centre of Birmingham. Here's a snapshot of the pieces that I bought. I am really looking forward to it as I will be covering all sorts of things - 10 classic pieces with 10 on trend alternatives, how to style one dress several different ways, the eternal problem of jeans, showing how certain pieces do a great styling job, 10 key pieces for the season.....I will try and bring you some more pics tomorrow.


On my whizz around Birmingham I also took a few snaps of things that I liked - even though I wouldn't necessarily wear them myself -such as these paisley shorts in Oasis. Paisley has had a huge revival - a great alternative to florals these will look amazing on the right person - which as I say isn't me!


This was the view that greeted me on walking into Oasis - I just thought that it was so pretty and colourful with these 1950's inspired dresses - a really nice contrast to the dull day outside.


In contrast, this was the rail in Cos, which also made an impact because of its simplicity. They have released five of their best selling white shirts in celebration of the fact that they have been in existence for five years. If you look closely you can see the tags on shirts 1 and 5.


I saw this dres in Betty Jackson Black and liked the flattering style of the v-neck, the draping and the print - all of which are good for curvier ladies.




A sucker for a smart coat to wear to a wedding, I also photographed this navy coat at Betty Jackson. I like the idea of wearing a smart coat for the wedding part of the ceremony with more of a party dress for the evening do.  The three quarter length sleeve is flattering, as is the lack of fuss at the neckline and the tie waist.



I also bought a stack of Topshop jeans so I hope to bring you another jeans post tomorrow, or over the next couple of days, together with some outfits from the event.

I have learnt two things today from our children:  From our eldest, that the word "studying" has the word "dying" in it.  Think that shows how she feels about exams right now.  From our youngest: That you shouldn't wear too many clothes as you can't scratch your bottom.  Right. Fab.

13 comments:

  1. I very much enjoy your posts even though they have very little relevance to me or my daughter . We are both over 6ft and there is very little choice in well fitting clothes. Over the years I have come to accept this but I really feel for my 14 year old daughter who wants to be fashionable. I would love to see how you style the taller woman/girl.. Have you seen the taller ranges in the few shops that do them . The choice is pitiful and mainly done online which sucks out all the joy of ' going shopping' in consequence I have very few clothes but a huge number of accessories. So,I will look forward to tomorrows post but spare a thought to all of us who don t have a choice in jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe B - I really sympathise with your plight, together with anyone else who finds it difficult to find clothes on the High Street to fit them - for whatever reason that may be. Having a teenage daughter myself I can imagine how frustrating it must be for both of you that your daughter is unable to find clothes to fit. I agree, the choice in the taller ranges is pitiful and it often seems that the brands don't adjust all of the proportions of a garment - maybe only the leg length which means that things still aren't fitting properly. Mail order, it seems at the moment, is the only option. LTS I know, can be a little hit and miss but their "brands" section on line is good. Is the Boden long length any good for you? That has worked for some of my ladies. And Topshop tall is probably the best range for your daughter, particularly for jeans, but I don't suppose that I am telling you anything that you don't already know! Any other tall ladies out there with any suggestions? I will keep on looking too. Beth

      Delete
  2. I am the same ZoeB - 5 foot 11 and can only get jeans/trousers from Dorothy Perkins/New Look/TopShop and Next Tall ranges.

    On another note - I can see several things I like the look of on that rail! Are you going to tell us where they are all from so we can peruse them online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachel - I have just mentioned the Boden longer length to Zoe (above)in which I styled one of my taller ladies.

      I will put some photos up of pieces from the rail - is there anything in particular that you have your eye on? Beth

      Delete
    2. something orange and floral looking to the left, and a couple of what look like printed tops but can't tell what the prints are! Not sure re Boden longer length, most "long" ranges are never long enough, my inside leg is 36 inches so I have to go for Tall. Might investigate next time someone has a Boden party!

      Delete
  3. Oooh I love Oasis, my fav shops, though I have to say I don't think many people could carry of paisley shorts! I bought the H&M cardy the other day that you recommended, what a bargain, thanks v much!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see someone in the shorts though - just not me! So pleased that the H&M cardi worked for you. x

      Delete
  4. The yellow handbag is amazing, hope you'll be letting us have the details...?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Redbytten - the bag is from H&M. I will photograph it for you over the next couple of days and post a picture. It looks much better full than empty! Beth

      Delete
  5. I am very much in agreement with your daughter's comment regarding studying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! I have to say I am pleased that that phase is over for me - although I do feel as though I am starting to re-live it all again through our daughter!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Hello Zoe and Rachel - I have left an enquiry on the Boden fb page asking them if they are considering doing a tall range. They are probably the best brand for catering to individual needs so it seemed a good place to start and you are right, the long length, at least in trousers, may not be long enough. Fingers crossed that they have something in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments,so do please drop by.