Pages

Thursday, 11 October 2012

Mum on the Run - A couple of coats to try (along with some alternatives)

I took a couple of coats along to last week's style event so thought that I would show them to you, together with a couple of alternatives.
 
I am a big fan of a Crombie coat. Simple, single breasted and with clean lines, they don't date, are incredibly chic and suit most shapes.  They can be worn with both smart dresses and heels for work and skinny jeans and boots at the weekend. 
 
This Next Coat (£60) is a fantastic price and actually feels OK.  Tapping into this season's trend for leather - or in this case pleather - (arguably that part of it may date slightly) it's a really great piece.
 
 

This is what the coat looks like on a body!


As an alternative, this Boden velvet trim coat £199 is beautiful. It also comes in camel and is quite generous in size, so it may be worth sizing down.


For a more casual coat, you can't beat a parka. They are everywhere at the moment. Some are more fashion orientated - great for those of us city dwellers - and come  with detatchable linings and hoods. On the other hand, brands who make clothes for the "proper" outdoors, such as Berghaus and Merrell, design parkas possibly more suited to those who live in very wet/windy/cold climates, where more demands are placed on the coats.

This is the NW3 Birch Parka £179, which has a lovely fleece inside and a hood with a fur trim - which isn't at all mangy!




 Again, this is what it looks like on a real body. With a draw string waist to add shape, plenty of useful pockets and snug cuffs, it's pretty near perfect.



Next comes the Next Luxury Navy Parka £85 - I must admit that I haven't seen this one in the flesh but again it has good sized pockets, a hood and it looks as if it draws in at the waist.


I really like the finish on this Oasis Wax quilted lined parka (£86). It's not quite as shiny as in the picture but, given that it is waxed, it does have a sheen about it. Having tried it on, I can tell you that it's definitely worth investigating.


For anyone who would like their parka to add a pop of colour to their wardrobe, this
GAP fur twill parka (£99.95) is a great option. It also comes in a pinky/coral colour, as well as the more sedate navy and khaki colours. In previous years the GAP parkas have sold out nationwide and a few weeks ago they were alarmed. What is the world coming to?!


Two basic styles of coats but with a few options for each. Oh, and one final one that I couldn't miss out - this very on trend number from Warehouse....the Warehouse colour block parka (£95)


I was given the heads up today that the Pavilions campaign in which I featured is on the front page of the new Shopping in Birmingham website - which has just replaced the Style Birmingham site. That aside, for anyone planning a day out shopping in Birmingham, it's a great place to look for information.






16 comments:

  1. I love the cromby style (which I had seen), however, the Warehouse parka look great & I think the shape would be spot on for me. Thanks Beth. Martina (must figure out another way of posting these other than anonymously).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martina - Don't worry about the anonymity! Hope that the Warehouse Parka works for you. It has really grown on me so I will be very envious if you get one!

      Delete
  2. i rarely disagree with your blog, beth, but i have to question your comments regarding the 'proper' outdoors. the weather i have been subjected to traipsing to and from school recently has felt very 'proper' to me! i may look like a rambler slightly off-course in my berghaus waterproof but i'm thinking some of the fashion parkas may not cut the mustard? i have got my eye on the janelle waterproof coat from seasalt which looks like a good compromise for me - not high fashion but dry on the inside! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally - I absolutely agree with you. As they say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. I know you walk to and from school several times a day (hence the lovely figure) so you probably need a coat made of "techy" fabrics (as do ladies who live in wet/mountainous/colder regions) more so than someone like me who is more of a car dweller (or at least fair weather school walker) and for who more "fashiony" Parkas will do. I am all for buying what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am looking at the Hobbs jacket but wondered whether you thought it was warm enough for properly cold weather!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog and look
    forward to new updates.

    Feel free to surf to my web page; residential property management arizona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

    Look into my homepage ... furnace repair learn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your content seem to be running off the screen
    in Chrome. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon.
    Thanks

    Feel free to visit my web site - home improvement calculator

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community
    in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information
    to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

    Also visit my blog ... gas furnace troubleshooting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're working with? I've
    loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I
    must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a reasonable
    price? Thanks, I appreciate it!

    my web site: Carrollton repair furnace maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.

    When I look at your website in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening
    in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted
    to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, very good blog!


    my web site :: velour activewear sets

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us
    so I came to look it over. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

    Great blog and amazing style and design.


    Feel free to visit my blog ... salsa dance shoes cheap

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy. I'm wondering if you may be interested in doing a website link swap? I see your blog: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4522105158819354251&postID=7476976384147796310 and my blog are centered around the same topic. I'd love to swap links or perhaps guest author a article for you.

    Here is my personal contact: sheenavergara@t-online.
    de. Please contact me if you're even slightly interested. Thanks for your time.

    Also visit my site - workout clothes for women plus sizes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice artiсle, ϳust what I neeԁed.


    Αlѕo visit mу web page; click through the following web site

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whаt's up friends, good article and fastidious arguments commented here, I am in fact enjoying by these.

    Review my web page :: http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello to every body, it's my first visit of this web site; this web site carries remarkable and genuinely good stuff in favor of visitors.

    Feel free to surf to my website :: appliance repair columbus ohio

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments,so do please drop by.