Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Mum on the Run - Running away from the beauty business as fast as her little legs will carry her....

See full size image 
 
 
I don't usually write about beauty, largely because I am fairly sceptical about the whole beauty business and the claims that are made. With clothes you can instantly see whether they work for you or not - whether the colour and fit are right, whether they sit properly and whether they are flattering or not.
 
Except this Christmas I deviated from my usual thought process and lived to regret it! Although I religiously remove my make-up every evening and use moisturiser and sun screen, I'm not particularly devoted to any one brand and often use samples from magazines, alongside the odd pot of whatever is on offer and which isn't too perfumed.
 
So, off I headed to Selfridges to a brand whose samples I had used briefly and, after a detailed skin analysis, I invested in what I was advised to buy (it might have involved the words "anti-ageing" pah!) However only one day after using it I developed a rash. The products were duly returned,  my money refunded - which was good of them - and week's worth of samples to fix the problem obtained. 
 
So, where does that leave me? Am I even more sceptical than I was before - or not?  Having started down the rocky road that I was for so long eager to avoid, rather than ignoring articles and adverts about the latest creams and the miracles they work, I have now started to read them. I feel slightly ensnared and confused by the whole business and if I am honest a little bit vulnerable, which is not good.
 
My answer? To take back control by heading to Aldi and investing in one of their creams instead. It makes all the same claims as more expensive brands, has had rave reviews and at only £4 a pot isn't going to break the bank. I'd like to think that there was some miracle cream out there which could do wonderful things but I'm not sure that I do - or do I? See what I mean. The beauty business has got me at last.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. I sympathise - my skin changed drastically as I entered my 40's. A lot has changed and has resulted in my new hobby of making homemade organic, natural beauty products (I have my head buried in natural preservatives research as I type). I have been using nothing but 100% coconut oil to remove my eye make up and make-up for the past 4 months after being an Eve Lom/Clarins devotee for years. At £8.99/500ml for the coconut oil, I don't need to tell you the savings I am making let alone how fab my skin looks and feels! Unless it's natural, you are always going to be tempting fate. Unlike fashion, high fashion cosmetics can seriously damage you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm with you on this one Beth - you hit 40 and it all hits the face. I never used to read the beauty bits either in mags but this last 6 months has seen me reading AND taking notes. I use the Aldi and Lidl beauty ranges as well - my sister did a big swoop at one point and bought me 5 pots of moisturiser for the princely sum of £5 (I think they were half price). I'm still wading through the lot. Let me know how you get on ... I don't know if they work but they do moisturise which is more than can be said for the Clinique Dramtically Different Moisturising lotion which used to leave my skin wanting .... for more moisturiser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my New Years Resolutions is to have more manicures and be more adventurous with my make-up - mainly as I'm not down to similar reasons! I know I should clear out my make up after a certain date but there's nothing wrong with it, it does the job and isn't harming my face. I do find if I veer to a different face cream brand I suffer. Currently thought I'd wait for my night cream to go on sale (daft, never does) and used a much cheaper one, result - more pimples! I tend to go with a recommendation and then if I like, stick with it! Products are so pricey I also feel cheated if they don't do what they say on the tin. Lancome is my favourite face cream and feel unique are great for cheaper products. Hit the beauty counters for more samples! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit I love potions and lotions almost as much as I love clothes - oh dear I'm a lost cause!! I just love the treat of a lovely candle lit, scented, bath with a face mask and a deep hair conditioner on! Ahhhh. In my dreams mostly with kids running about. Anyway, I do think you can get fab products in the high street that don't break the bank - there lots of great beauty blogs out there as well from people who have tried and tested hundreds of products , but be warned ...it's addictive!! Agree with GlamRosie - get loads of samples and try before buying or buy travel size ! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Beth...so disappointing. My only words of advice are along the lines of Andrea's. The Aldi & Lidl stuff is full of chemicals and perfume. Longer term, it's not good to use. Look out for natural, paraban and parfum free. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Beth...so disappointing. My only words of advice are along the lines of Andrea's. The Aldi & Lidl stuff is full of chemicals and perfume. Longer term, it's not good to use. Look out for natural, paraban and parfum free. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the skin care business is a huge con, not least the ridiculous ads featuring airbrushed 13yr old!!!! Since turning 40 I've become obsessed with moisturising (after spending younger days trying to do the opposite for fear I might get a zit!!!) I use Baby Lotion (Beaty ladies faint) Simple toner and Nivea day, night and eye cream (Boots 3 for 2). My skin's ok.....in dim light, from 5 metres!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bio Oil and Vaseline - all you need xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on this Beth! I have been using the Aldi Lacura Multi-Intensive serum for a couple of years and I love it!! I hate spending money on expensive beauty products....I'd much rather spend the money on clothes!! I have recently been using the new Nivea Express Hydration Primer (over the serum) which is lovely and light and have used the Nivea Daily Essentials night cream since I discovered it eons ago!! I think if you take care of yourself in general (which you obviously do!) you will reap the benefits without breaking the bank!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know (Charlotte S!), I am sceptical (about most things!! Ha) but one of the only things I try to avoid in creams, make-up removers etc is parabens. Quite difficult though as most/many creams etc contain them. Vichy are paraben free as are Botanics eye make up remover wipes and other products which I use and are cheap and do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up? I'm assuming
    having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

    I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% positive. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

    Also visit my blog post ... bhutan

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments,so do please drop by.